Thursday, November 17, 2016

I'm Not Above Regifting - Poem

I’m Not Above Regifting

I’m assembling a gift for a poet
Books with other’s words
That remind me of…
That are like a…
To inspire, support and show that hers equal and surpass the other’s published works.

I’m not above regifting
I’m happy to buy used, I mean, aren’t words always reused?
Pulling one from the shelf, the flyleaf held a note in red pen saying the poems by the Buddhist monk were sent in peace and love, with a smiley face.
A card fell out from somewhere in the middle from another long ago love. 
How strange to find it. I don't remember it. 
He looked to me with love, he said. I made a smiley face. I did remember how that felt.
He’d filled the void left by the red penning smiley face drawer.

Only for awhile. I thought.
And yet, those old words reminded me
That books and cards with loving notes are like a coffee in the afternoon before an evening out, or 
Like a crimson dot in Mr. Turner’s sea, or
Like a lesson in using brown, red or sweet onions or a leek.

Used, reused and now regifted.

Mary Longe
November 16, 2016


Painting: The Bookstore at the Clearing
Artist: Mary Longe
11x14" Oil
Ellison Bay, WI
November 1, 2016 
Mary Longe
mary.longe@gmail.com
Available

No comments:

Post a Comment