Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Sketching Arizona

On my way to Tucson

Sunrise over the J W Marriott firepit. Not long after I sat down, last Sunday morning I organized my painting paraphernalia  and started to capture the stripes in the sky. A man in a ski jacket entered the circle and stood facing the same view directly in front of me. I made a snide comment, like, let me know if I get in your way. He placed a couple things on chairs nearby and mumbled something about the sunrise that I didn't quite hear or understand. Awhile later, as I finished the plein air sketch, a man dressed in Navajo garb came and stood directly in front of me again to block "my" view. A bit miffed, I took a breath his time and said nothing out of embarrassment that I said something before. Luckily... I realized it was the same man.  He placed sage on the fire and bowls of it around the pit. He pulled a flute from his bag and described an honoring song to all those who came before.. I put down my brush, closed my sketch book and relinquished "my" view. Like he said, "To all my relations." 

At Miraval - The hot tub and a view of Mt. lemon



A fireplace at the Westward Look Resort in Tucson.

A high contrasting room to Westward Look at the post modern Palomar in Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment