Thursday, August 11, 2016

Waiting... On an August Peach Morning


This morning, I waited for the 7:30 southbound leaning against the post of the wind-shield on the train station platform. The 7:26 northbound pulled in the four minutes ahead. I stand at the north end of the platform near where the second car from the end, the quiet car, stops for loading. In the morning, the only one who gets off is the conductor shepherding the passengers and giving a very old-school all-a-boarded wave to the engineer up front.) Most mornings, today with no exception, the timing is frequently German precision with the north bound pulling in, loading and pulling out, as the train into the city pulls in, allowing any stragglers held up by north bound to cross the tracks from the parking lot and board for the commute.
 
The sun on these August mornings has a soft peach quality to them. Leaning against the post, I soak in the sun, aware that this is the only time I have to soak it in for the day. It feels medicinal to me, like topping off the tank with vitamin D. And, in the twelve minutes I’m there, my cheeks get flushed, a drip of sweat eases into my undies. I stand, my eyes closed, trying to remember this for November, December…
Metra trains are HUGE. As the northbound slows to a stop, I welcome the shade it throws across the tracks. Except today, the engine stops and the sun allowed by the crack, maybe eighteen inches between the engine and the front car, leaves a perfect alignment between the sun and me. I smile, thinking, this will help me remember… the elusive welcomed shade.  
With clockwork, that train pulled out, ours pulled in and my peach morning meditation ended. I remind myself that I am not waiting for winter.
 
You can find 75 other photos of the scene from the Deerfield Train Station platform at Instagram.com/Innovasia.
https://www.instagram.com/innovasia_/?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment