Monday, August 31, 2015

Oliver Sacks, Santana, Septuagenarians and Sketching... Inspiring

Need inspiration for writing, for finding your passion, for contributing?  Oliver Sacks wrote right up to the end and has several unpublished pieces that will be aired in due time. The photo on his Facebook page of him writing, paper in air haunts me.

Yesterday I talked with a septuagenarian who is applying for an MFA starting in Fall 2016. On Friday I had dinner with a man, about the same age, who has multiple marathons in 24 States wearing out the treads of his tennies and plans to get the other 26 completed including Pikes Peak, between the ones he's doing in other countries. If you follow Nancy Camden, you'll read and hear on her Spotting Wisconsin posts about her rides with the octogenarians who pedal on beyond her impressive range.  Oh, and last night, I saw 1947 born, Carlos Santana play from 7:30-10:00 nonstop!


I am completely inspired by this long view of life. It's so easy to shut down with aches and pains and to buy into "retirement"  as not living fully.  Yesterday, inspired, maybe a bit afraid that I've waited too long, I rode my bike to an art fair and took a longer way home, after sketching the scene.

I am grateful this Monday morning for good health and people who show me the way.

Sacks photo from Facebook, bike photo from Spotting Wisconsin. The others are mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment