Sunday, March 31, 2013

Longe Life Lesson 7 Easter Egg Hunt


An Easter Egg hunt tripped my competitive switch. Staying in a bungalow close to the beach on the grounds of the Fountainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach, we experience one of the few family vacations that included my parents and siblings. I have snippets of memories of that trip in the 1950s, that are fueled by a couple snapshots in photo albums, two or three stories told and retold like a family myth and a searing sense of physical pain when a coin toss meant I did not win the biggest, lushest Easter basket I ever saw.

When he had the opportunity, Dad retold the story of how I embarrassed him by falling asleep at the dinner table at white table-cloth restaurant. I remember chasing after a red stone that my brother repeatedly tossed into the pool at deeper and deeper depths to teach me to dive.  I remember an argument with my mother not allowing me to go into the pool after particularly bad sunburn and eventually compromising on wearing a long sleeve shirt in the hot Florida sun. And, on Sunday after church, I remember the Easter egg hunt.

With 'Ready, set, go!" a bunch of kids, a quantity smaller than my first grade class began lifting leaves and pushing back petals to find eggs in a hotel garden. There were boys and girls younger and older than me. I remember my brother, too old to participate, acting as my coach, encouraging me and urging me to hurry. At one point I stopped to count the eggs in my basket and turned over the entire basket, dumping out the eggs. Clearly a setback, but it didn’t stop me. I’m sure it took encouragement, I refocused my search to find the most eggs.  

The competition closed when no more eggs could be found. The judges, who to me were like adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon, legs to the belt line, counted the eggs in my basket.

Behind them on a ledge stood the Easter basket with stuffed bunnies, sand pail, shovels, rakes, cars, jelly beans and chocolate. I had the most! I won the basket! And, so did a boy, bigger than me.  The judges conferred and a coin flip, it was determined, would break the tie.

He won the basket. I got the quarter and a memory that has lasted fiftyfive years. It taught me about the importance of a good coach, about fairness not being fair and about not stopping to count your eggs.  

Happy Easter. 

1 comment:

  1. You may have ended up with only the quarter but who was able to tell the story? (and remember, we are all the heroes of our own stories!)

    Happy Eggster!

    ReplyDelete