Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Poem - Tipping Point: Art

There is a moment, 
Especially on weekend mornings
When I've watched a video-demo or two, 
Scrolled through posts and pins on  
watercolor, sketching and plein air painting,
When (like having a running start) I
Just gotta get up and do it myself.

I go to the bathroom, pee, brush my teeth, maybe shower and line my eyes,
When, I have another idea.

I make espresso, grab a yogurt, add some walnuts, 
then see out the window a squirrel (yes, cliche’ all the way), hungrier than me. 
So, I take and toss the remaining nut shards
into a concrete valentine water dish beneath his tree. And,

With the last plop,
I notice the tiniest of scenes.
Two crooks in the tree
with a bark that reminds me of the worst of acne,
and snow that looks more like the kind that comes from spray cans
and all in a hint of winter shadow.

I grab my small Moleskine sketchbook
(because this is only to commemorate a very small scene),
my favorite Deluxe Micro Uni-ball pen
And put lines and more lines down.

Though in the time I’ve taken to finish the sketch,
write about the moment I was moved to sketch
but ate breakfast instead,
and saw a squirrel, fed it, and drew where I placed its food,
I never see the squirrel again. Yet,

I still feel pretty good about the morning.

Tipping Point: Art
Mary Longe
1/30/16

Have you gotten way-laid and eventually ended up exactly where you wanted to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment