Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Sessions - Full Frontal Coming of Age



WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS IDEA?

A recent Wall Street Journal article describe a retired couple who sold their home in order to live for a couple months at a time in places around the world. After a couple conversations about that model, I decided that it wasn't right for me, but there is something so intriguing about the concept. I agreed with a friend visiting from England, who said she didn't really like to travel, move from hotel to hotel, but she likes staying with friends. That unfortunately puts a burden on the host. One entrepreneurial friend offers her apartment in Chicago on AirBnB... it means she has to clear out, lock up her personal stuff, live with some goofy guy for the duration, but she makes extra money.

Here's my idea.... what if "Friends" created an underground accommodation system by offering their Empty Nest room, their extra bedroom for a fair fee? Not to host them but to make available a space for a month or os for someone to experience a town? The roomer(s) would pay a room charge, have use of the kitchen and other facilities as agreed upon. Perhaps, their would be an expectation that the room has a tv and internet. Though the focus is not about the visit, certainly at times the owner could invite the visitor to a shared meals like the owners at the Gites in France who made dinner for us.

This idea appeals to me. Friends with Beds. A website of common expectations, suggested pricing, and maybe a registration of friends. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. First, I am okay with reviews because I get to see so few films and videos that I only want to see the good ones. I am okay with knowing the story--although seeing a movie without is definitely a valued experience. Sometimes, I choose to "caption" a video to see the dialogue as a script--part of the study of film. Many times, I regret seeing a movie because I know I will never be able to see it again for the first time. Secondly, thank you Mary for expressing your inner life as all good writer do in one way or another. This does connect the dots to the reader's heart and inner fears and secrets. We all struggle with feeling badly for ourselves and then, seeing how bad it really could be. I've been telling myself 'These are the good times' because I think that as I age, my body and life is definitely going to bring me more and bigger challenges. Life "Sessions" become a correction for our thinking whether you witness it on the screen or the street.

    ReplyDelete