Friday, August 24, 2012

Bra Straps


As the noon presenter pointed out, few authors are celebrities, but at the Taos Writers Workshop, if you are faculty you are anointed and worthy of the respect. The early evening readings allow the author-faculty to share their skills which sell books and recruit participants for next year’s program. 

Focusing on four readings after a long day and before dinner challenges my attention. In defense of mind wondering, I brought along the last few sips of a caffeinated iced coffee, sat flat footed on a hard straight chair and determined to keep an attentive posture.  The first reader’s story left me wanting more... excellent start! With the second one I shifted in my seat, took sips of coffee without a slurp and straightened the items on the chair next to me… Celestine Prophesy, sunglasses, wallet and cup. The book, a gift, I found in a resale shop right after we discussed it in a class of spiritual memoir writing. The cup would soon be tossed. The rest... contents of a purse I don't like carrying. The reader’s ten minutes continued and I noticed bra straps. 

Four women, situated one up and one over, one up and one over, one up and one over, one up and one over are all dressed in black with skin showing. In order they wear, a collared sleeveless blouse, an oval boat neck, a square neck dress and a jet black cammie, A brassiere strap escaped from beneath the garment.

“And, finally” the author declared as I examined the forms and shapes created with the fabrics intersecting on the wearer’s arm and back. Parallel sexy black lines along the strap of the camisole, a half-moon shortening the boat neck, a fashion faux paux screamed from the fancy five o’clock dress and the sleeveless midnight blouse ablaze with the unexpected hot pink brought me back to the author noting a child wondering what caused the trailer to rock with her parents inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment