Thursday, August 23, 2012

Elevator Conversation


Three of us in the elevator ascending to work.

A woman I don’t know turns away from the door and faces another woman whom I do know from meetings, “Have you had your son’s wedding yet?”

“This weekend’s the shower, they’re getting married in October.” The door opens and the questioner gets off. I turn to the mother.  

“That sounds like fun. Are you happy?” In the back of my mind I think about the tug of war I have in my head about my own son at twentyseven with a long-time girl friend and no signs of marriage. I’m glad he’s not getting married yet with so much life ahead of him. And yet they seem so connected.

“Yes. Yes,” She lingered on the s... a hesitation. “I’d like them to wait a couple more years. They’re only twentyfour. but, so much  in love.” She turned and smiled over her shoulder as the doors closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment