Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Power of Oreos and Hang Nails


Someone brought a single-row box of Oreos to my house as a dinner contribution. We never got to them that night, so the cookies remained in the back left corner on the third shelf of the cupboard next to the refrigerator. Like a hang nail, every minute cookies are present in my house, I am aware they are there. I want one. I know the ramifications, the impact on my body in calories and trans fat. I still want one.  A few days ago, I watched a documentary about Facebook on CNBC. Remember the Winklevoss twins... the rowers from the Social Network movie?  For years they waged a hostile litigation with Mark Zuckerberg for claiming an interest in the company. If you hated someone so much, would you support ther company? Me neither… unless they own Oreos or, in their case, Facebook. The twins said they held out for four years but couldn't not join FaceBook. They succumbed and created profiles.
In a recent NPR story, a 102 year old woman checked out her great and grand kids. One in twelve people on the planet are on FaceBook. On THE PLANET! Tom Cruise in the Minority Report showed us the horrors of implanted chips. We don't need no stinkin' Special Police shooting capsules of info in our bodies, we did it to ourselves! I went over to the laundry room, grabbed my foot stool and dragged it to the kitchen, climbed up, reached the cookies in the back corner of the shelf by the fridge and ate them... one by one, pulling them apart, using my teeth to scrape off the white death and loved them. I put the box back three times until they were gone. I continue to stay on FaceBook, knowing that my viewing habits are tracked and documented, a formula will offer me ads that when clicked will follow me forever. I will use FaceBook and like the Oreos, I will like it. And like the hang nail, I won't forget that it could be a source of infection and pain at anytime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment